Pet hair can get the best of us. We try so hard to remove it from our clothes, the air, the couch, furniture, and the floor. But somehow it always makes its way back. It does not matter if you have a Labrador, any other breed of dog, or a cat. Pet hair is a constant (although a Labrador takes the dilemma to a whole new level 🙂 )
And let’s face it. If you have a Labrador Retriever, you spend a lot of time cleaning up pet hair because they shed. A LOT!
It can be hard to find the best vacuum cleaner for any household, let alone one that has a Lab. But with the assistance of the buyer’s guide below, you can find out what other Lab owners are using. These vacuum cleaners are recommended and are the most popular among the tens of thousands of Labrador owners in our Facebook group.
All of these are on Amazon, so you can click on check the price, add the one (or ones) you like to cart so you don’t lose the link and decide what vacuum cleaner suits your needs afterwards.
For more details about each one of these vacuums you can scroll down. This table is just a summary.
Important: Every single one of these vacuum cleaners has been recommended thousands of times in our Labrador group, so if you can’t afford the best choice model, be assured that every one of these vacuums will do the job just fine.
Corded Vacuum Cleaners
Cordedless Vacuum Cleaners
Best Vacuum Cleaners For Labrador Retrievers Buyer’s Guide
There are so many vacuum cleaners on the market that promise to rid your house of pet hair, dirt, odors, and grime. Their ads may state they suck greatly, and literally for many that are true. The vacuum cleaners may work for a while, then over time, they begin to lose their power. Your once clean carpet begins to look dirty and dingy. And there is pet hair all over.
As a Lab owner, you expect to find a vacuum that will be powerful enough to suck all the pet hair and dirt out of your floor. You want it clean for not only you but also your beloved pooch. You will want one that will be long lasting and will do the job that it is intended to do.
What Will You Use the Vacuum For?
The first question you need to ask yourself is what will you use the vacuum for? Will it be used to clean up the carpet? Or do you have hardwood floors? Will you use the vacuum for your furniture and curtains?
If you are only going to be using the vacuum for carpeted flooring, look for a vacuum that specialized in that.
Once you have determined what you will be vacuuming, you will need to determine how big of a vacuum you need. If you live in an apartment, you will most likely want a smaller model. Not only will a large vacuum eat away at your storage space, but it may also be hard to push around if there is not very much room to maneuver it.
If you live in a large space with a Lab, you are most likely going to want a larger and more powerful model. The vacuum should be able to quickly do a large area at once while sucking up the most dirt and pet hair.
Tools and Accessories
Many vacuums will have tools and accessories that either come with the unit or can be purchased separately. These will assist in getting your flooring cleaner and reaching hard to clean areas.
- Beater Bar Brush / Brush Roll – This is commonly implemented as a standard in many uprights to allow a deep clean of the carpets. It may also be added as a tool if the vacuum cleaner is meant for hardwood floors.
- Crevice tool – This tool assists in sucking up pet hair and grime from tight spots as it has a thin, angled shape. This is frequently used for radiators, couch cushions, and across baseboards.
- Extension tool – This telescopic wand-shaped accessory provides one a handle tube with an extra reach that helps reach into corners, ceilings, or behind appliances.
- Hardwood floor brush tool – This too is particularly suitable for extracting crumbs from wooden and tiled floors. It can be found in both canister vacs, and sometimes upright vacuums.
- Mattress tool – Specifically made to suck up dirt and debris from mattresses with a wide base and textured pads.
- Ceiling fan / blind tool – Angled like a putter, this removes the debris and dirt on your ceiling fans and blinds.
Best Vacuum Cleaners For Lab Owners
1. Shark APEX AZ1002
The Shark APEX AZ1002 is a vacuum for Labrador owners that everybody swears by. It’s the most popular by far, and it’s also mid-priced. This is the robust corded vacuum choice that many on our Facebook Labrador page insisted was the best choice.
The Shark APEX AZ1002 features DuoClean Technology which consists of a dual brush roll system to deep-clean the carpets while directly engaging the floors for a polished look. The brush roll is self-cleaning, which greatly assists with pet hair removal.
Many Lab owners have started how amazing they feel their Shark APEX is. They are impressed with the flip of a switch how it can go from carpeted flooring to hard floors. Owners feel that the Shark is worth every penny and that they would never want to be without it. The vacuum has a powerful suction to deliver a deep clean on all floor types from hardwood to carpets.
- With a powered-lift away, the pod disconnects to extend the range of the cleaner head, which can be used under furniture.
- An Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology and a HEPA filter assist in trapping dust and allergens inside the Shark APEX.
- The Noise Reduction Technology allows the vacuum to be specially tuned to decrease noise and soften the pitch.
- Active-Glide Technology eases maneuverability on hard floors and carpets while managing a mighty suction.
2. Dyson Ball Animal Upright
The Dyson Ball Animal is the second best-corded option as it is a robust choice. Many of our Facebook members swear by it as well. But would you expect anything less from a Dyson?
It is easy to see why many Lab owners are a fan of this vacuum as it comes with extra tools that are super handy for pet owners. The tangle-free turbine tool easily removes pet hair from your carpet. And the ball design makes it easy to maneuver around your home. The Ball Animal will capture pet hair, dander, kibble, dirt, and much more that has been trapped into your carpet. The motorized brush bar features stiff nylon bristles that drive deep into the carpet to remove ground-in dirt.
A huge pro many owners have seen is the length of the cord. Those who vacuum daily can see their amount of time cut down spent vacuuming by not having to mess with short cords.
- Radial root cyclone technology sucks up more dirt and minuscule dust
- Self-adjusting cleaner head Seals in suction across carpets and hard floors
- Guides on a Ball and steers easily into difficult places
- Whole-machine filtration guarantees that allergens are confined inside the machine, not tossed back into the air.
3. Dyson V11 Torque Cordless
Moving on to cordless options for convenience and hard to reach places, the Dyson V11 is the best choice by far. Many in our Labrador Retriever Facebook Group swear by it. This is the vacuum that you get if you want the best, but it’s pricey.
The cordless vacuum is set to last for a full hour when charged, but customers have stated that this depends upon the setting you are using. However, they say it generally lasts anywhere between half an hour to one hour. You can see exactly how much power is left. Maintenance reminders will also be provided so you know exactly when to clean the filters for optimal performance.
A nice feature is a roller for the vacuum. Many have commented on how the hair will never get stuck or clogged up. If you are cleaning your stairs or need to do your car, the cordless easily converts to a handheld.
Dyson stands behind this vacuum with twice as much suction power as other cordless vacuums. The company says this is their most intelligent cordless vacuum. Included with the purchase are the torque drive head, mini motorized tool, crevice tool, stubborn dirt brush, soft dusting brush, combination tool, wand storage clip, docking station, and charger.
The suction power of the V11 is controlled across three settings – Eco mode, auto mode, and boost mode. This will allow a thorough cleaning throughout the home.
- The advanced whole-machine filtration traps 99.99% of particles, dust, and allergens as small as 0.3 microns.
- Dyson technology helps create a cleaner, healthier home. The V11 vacuum is scientifically proven to capture particles as small as allergens and bacteria.
- Up to 60 minutes of run time. Manufactured for larger homes with pets.
- High torque cleaner heads will automatically adapt suction and power to deep clean various floor types without changing cleaner heads.
- Intelligently optimized suction and run time across all floor types, creating the correct balance of power and run time when you need it the most.
- An LCD screen provides information on the current performance, along with selected power mode, remaining run time, maintenance reminders, and blockage reports.
4. Shark IZ163H Rocket Pet Pro Cordless Stick Vacuum
If you can’t afford the Dyson V11 for a cordless option, a solid choice is the Shark Rocket Pet Pro. This has been recommended so many times as well, so a strong choice.
This cordless vacuum is very powerful to have the entire house clean. It can breeze through dirt, grime, pet hair, dander, and large messes with ease. The lightweight vacuum weighs in at under 7.5 pounds and can be used to reach under appliances and furniture without much effort.
Owners have been pleased with the easy-empty dust cup. No need to ever touch whatever the canister holds by simply using the CleanTouch Dirt Ejector. If you have to clean tight spaces, you can remove the handheld vacuum and attach the wand for hard to reach spaces.
- Self-cleaning brush roll with Dirt Engage technology enables non stop removal of long hair and pet hair.
- Dirt Engage technology provides unstoppable cleaning performance on carpets and bare floors by extracting deeply embedded dirt on carpets and by directly engaging bare floors.
- MultiFLEX technology enables one to bend the wand to conveniently reach under furniture and appliances. When finished, you can fold it up to store it in the closet.
- With up to 40 minutes of runtime in the standard mode, the removable battery can be charged in or out of the unit.
- Complete with Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology and a HEPA filter to trap dust and allergens inside the vacuum cleaner.
5.BISSELL Cleanview Swivel Pet Upright Bagless Vacuum
A cheaper alternative for corded and cordless versions is BISSELL products. Many have recommended BISSELL vacuums if one is looking for something solid. While they are not as good as the Sharks and Dyson brands, they are still OK.
The BISSELL Cleanview Swivel Pet Upright is a bagless vacuum that can easily clean hardwood floors without lots of debris scatter. The multi-cyclonic suction system guarantees that there will be no loss of suction.
For every BISSELL product sold, the company will donate up to $10 to the BISSELL pet foundation once the vacuum has been activated.
This vacuum is also very hygienic! You literally can wash every single part except for the motor! No matter if you have pets or not, after a while, the vacuum does start to produce an odor. This is great news for anyone that likes to go on step beyond when they are done cleaning!
- Powerful pet hair picks up with a triple action brush roll and scatters free technology.
- Swivel steering to simply proceed around furniture or other obstructions.
- Perfectly cleans edges and corners with an edge to edge cleaning with a cleaning path width of 13.5 inches.
- Quickly and efficiently removes pet hair with specialized pet tools including the pet hair corner tool and the pet tool.
6. BISSELL Adapt Ion Pet 10.8V Lithium-Ion 2 in 1 Cordless Stick Vacuum, Teal, 2286A
This cordless BISSELL is the perfect choice for quick pickups, especially when you have short notice that company is coming or you see a mess!
Many Lab owners love the convenience of the Adapt Ion Pet. With a beater brush head of 10 inches, you would not want this for a large house. But for the occasional messes or small homes, this vacuum will provide great suction.
If storage is an issue for your home, this unit folds down to 26 inches. The vacuum is easy to quickly grab if needed and the filters are super simple to clean by just running under warm soapy water and then rinsing and drying well. If you do not have time for this, you can just tap off the filter to remove the dust.
- Lithium-Ion battery offers up to 15 minutes of run time with various cleaning modes and attachments.
- Easily maneuvers across surfaces and customize your clean with the touch of a button with the Brush Roll ON/OFF switch.
- Adapt Ion Pet offers cordless convenience is perfect for quick pick-ups or daily cleans.
- Two-Way folding handle modifies to reach far under furniture and folds up for simple and compact storage.
- Manufactured for pet messes and to clean hard-to-reach areas in the home.
7. iRobot Roomba i7+
Moving on to robot vacuums, the sworn by choice is the iRobot I7 Roomba. The self-emptying feature is a huge plus when you have a Lab. While it is the best choice, many pet owners will have a hard time coming off the money as it is rather pricey.
The iRobot Roomba i7+ works with Alexa, so you may connect it to any device you have featuring Alexa, such as an Echo Dot.
With the unique dual multi-surface rubber brushes, they won’t get tangled with pet hair. The brushes adjust and flex to stay in constant contact with carpets & hard floors. The high-efficiency filter traps 99% of dog and cat allergens.
Worried that the Roomba will bump into something that it should not? You can tell the robot to stay away from various areas or objects with customizable Keep Out Zones.
- 10 times the Power-Lifting Suction and Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes that suck in dirt, debris, and pet hair from wherever it hides.
- Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal that authorizes the i7+ to empty itself for up to 60 days.
- From customizable routines to customizable maps, complete control is in your hands. Personalized cleaning suggestions assist in keeping you ahead of messes.
- Intelligently maps and cleans an entire level of your home. With vSLAM navigation, i7+ maps your home to navigate in accurate, productive rows.
- Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal with AllergenLock bags utilize 4 layers of allergen blocking material to trap 99% of pollen and mold.
8. iRobot Roomba 675 Robot Vacuum-Wi-Fi Connectivity
If you want a Roomba, but do not want to spend the money on an expensive one, consider the iRobot Roomba 675. This vacuum is a good enough option as it is way cheaper and still does the job it is supposed to do.
Many are impressed that you can create a daily cleaning schedule to keep your home pet hair free! These owners also approve that the robot not only cleans up smaller particles but can also pick up large debris. The Roomba can be run off your Alexa, cell phone, or by itself.
- A full suite of state-of-the-art sensors enables the Roomba 675 to operate under and around furniture, and along edges. Cliff Detect stops it from tumbling downstairs.
- The newly updated iRobot Home App enables you to upgrade your overall cleaning ordeal. Utilize the features to work around your schedule.
- Operates for up to 90 minutes before automatically docking & recharging.
- Patented Dirt Detect Technology helps your Roomba find the dirtier spots in your home, like high-traffic spots, and then cleans them more thoroughly.
- Learn from your cleaning habits to provide personalized schedules. Advises extra cleanings when the pollen count is up or during pet shedding season.
When owning a Lab, one of the first things you need to think about is purchasing a vacuum cleaner as Labs tend to shed.
While it can be a daunting task to pick the best vacuum cleaner for a Lab, our Facebook group is ready to step in and assist. With thousands of members, you can rest assured that you will find the best information about how well a vacuum performs.
The best vacuums for Labrador Retrievers need to be able to pick up a lot of pet hair and have lots of sucking power. Many times tools are a great asset to a vacuum as they can help to get into nooks and crannies to get your house the cleanest.
By taking your time to research vacuums for Labradors, you can guarantee that you will find the best one for you and your fur babies!
If you have a question, please don't hesitate to join the group and ask.
You can also leave a comment below.
Unfortunately, a Facebook group costs money to run well, and our group stays alive thanks to your support, please consider becoming a patreon member.Thank you!